Today, a big bunch of "the gang" took the kids to Applegate Zoo and knocked around for a bit. Toddlers, bigger kids, babies...lots of fun! Donavan helped us capture a great family photo! Thanks, Donnie!
The Mommies and their kiddos. Charlotte and Rachel are saying "cheese" to each other, Kara is watching them as if they're from another planet, Michael could care less, and Madison looks like she just wants someone to get her out of this crazy picture.
So I've entered my first color challenge at The DigiShoppe, and it was tough! You can only use a certain palette of colors, and it took some digging. But challenge is a good thing, right? Plus, I learned how to make it look like my paperclip is actually clipping the photo! Yay me! I just had to share these pictures of Charlotte digging into her corn. She's crazy for it--as long as Dad's there to hold it steady for her.
We took the girls to Chaffee Zoo in Fresno today, and it was a great day--not too crowded, and the girls did so well. Afterwards, it was time for a McDonald's run and naps in the van. Remember the whole "quest for a group picture" thing? ....yeah.
For Rachel, it's really not the full zoo experience unless you're shouting at the animals. A more pensive moment with Daddy. How Charlotte gets a closer look.
How Rachel gets a closer look.
Charlotte (aka Miss Sassybritches)
I love the rear view. We've started color-coding them for people.
We're the "last to go," so to speak. We're finally doing what our other friends have done already--we're making the move to big girl beds. The beds we've ordered won't be here for about 4 weeks, and I'm already a tad nervous. We really like to "play" in our cribs before going to sleep, and I'm not sure how we're going to do with beds. Still, we're simply getting too big, so it must be done. We saved a bit on the beds, so Mommy splurged and went for some cute Pottery Barn bedding:I'd like to do the same buttery yellow on the top. We have the chair rail thing going on already--we just need the white on the bottom. There's wallpaper there right now, and Charlotte has found a weak spot by her crib, and has begun to tear it! I think we're going to enlist Grammy to do some of the accent painting. Wish us luck!
...to all of the wonderful dads out there. My wonderful dad is on a cruise with my wonderful mom, so I know he's having a good day. I made this for Adrian and put it in a frame for his desk at work. PaPa got a similar one. Both of them are tremendous dads! By the way, I shamelessly lifted the idea from Jamie Waters.
Today was Jen's baby shower. She's expecting Sweet Katherine at the end of July, so it was time to shower her with gifts! She's so glowy and cute, and feeling great. Bees are the theme of the nursery, so they were everywhere!
Look at the cute cake I found at Old Tyme Pastries!
Jen's mom, Sue, came up with the cute favors--Post-It holders!
The awesome spread. Maria (Dan's mom) made "Ooey Gooeys" or "Magic Cookie Bars"--to die for! I made wraps! Patti would be so proud of me.
Everyone had to draw what they think Katherine will look like, on top of their heads! This is Jen's sister-in-law, Rachel.
Jen's grandma (Becca's GG), and her mom, Sue (Becca's GoMama).
Kelli did this on her blog, and I'm basically doing it to see if I CAN!!!
1. I am 32, and will be 33 in a little over a month.
2. My husband is 4 years younger than I am.
3. My good friend Jeanne set me up with Adrian.
4. She had to talk me into going on a second date with him. I'm so glad that she did!
5. I've been to Colorado, Arizona, Nevada, Hawaii, and Mexico.
6. I need to travel more!
7. I can play the flute and the recorder.
8. I was in the marching band in both junior high and high school--I've marched in The Rose Parade and in Hawaii.
9. I was in the Drama Club, and was actually the lead in a play once.
10. I was in the GATE program.
11. I met my best friend in the sixth grade, though we really didn't become best friends until after high school.
12. My best friend is an optometrist!
13. I am a teacher. I think I'm good at it.
14. I knew I wanted to be a teacher when I found out you could have your own set of Mr. Sketch scented markers (this was 1st grade).
15. Between then and now, I've wanted to be: a lawyer, a marine biologist, a music teacher, an opera singer, and a Broadway star.
16. I can sing quite well--when I practice.
17. My dear friend Sarah talked me into classical voice lessons--she's still quite good at it.
18. My husband is a somewhat liberal Republican. I am a pretty conservative Democrat.
19. We're both addicted to the Daily Show.
20. I have a huge crush on Sawyer from Lost. But that's okay--Adrian has a huge crush on Carrie from Mythbusters.
21. I'm not a huge reality TV fan, and the ones I DO like are probably the ones that other people don't.
22. I live for my DVR.
23. I think I need a separate DVR for all of the Playhouse Disney and Noggin shows that we record.
24. Oh....I have 2 year-0ld TWINS!
25. Going into the early sonogram, I actually thought, "Wouldn't it be funny if there were twins?"
26. I was convinced they were boy/girl twins.
27. I still can't believe that I'm someone's mom. I feel like I still need MY Mommy!
28. My husband is totally the FUN parent. I think I'm Bad Cop.
29. My husband, like my Dad, is a kid MAGNET.
30. I still can't believe my dad let me marry someone with long hair.
31. I have three major scars: a cesarean scar, a gash on my knee from running with my hands in my shirt, and one from having a cyst removed from my breast at 12!
32. I'm nearsighted and I know I'll need bifocals before 40.
33. Hats give me a headache because of my big head.
34. If I diet too much, I begin to look like a stopsign.
35. I really wish I talked to my old friends more often.
36. My mom is a watercolorist. I can't really paint worth a darn, but I think I'm crafty.
37. My dad is an outstanding athlete. I'm.....not.
38. My parents are way too good to me. I'm spoiled rotten.
39. Everyone looooooooves my parents.
40. I split my lip open after hitting a wall on rollerblades. I was so fearful of getting it stitched, that I tried to convince my parents to let it heal "naturally." After the whole "harelip" discussion, I agreed to let my Dad take me in. It hurt like hell!
41. I got in trouble in 4th grade for swearing too much.
42. I still swear too much, but I know when to censor myself.
43. I drink a TON of Diet Coke. I'm afraid that I'll have osteoporosis before I'm 50.
44. I love Italian food, but don't eat a lot of it at home.
45. Like Kelli, I go through food phases. Currently, I could live on Pollo Bowls.
46. Sour candy is where it's at--give me Sour Jelly Bellies, Sour Patch Kids, or SweeTarts, and I'm a happy girl.
47. I think the best part of the movie is the previews--followed closely by the Penzoiled popcorn and vat of Diet Coke.
48. I love to go to the movies when there's hardly anyone there.
49. I love to go to Giants games--even when they're breaking my heart.
50. I've spotted only a handful of celebrities in my life: I saw John Cusack and Minnie Driver at a Laker's game, Ralphie from A Christmas Story at Disneyland, and Alice Cooper in H/M in San Fransisco.
51. I play computer games with my husband after the girls go to bed. This is when I should be doing work.
52. My house is for sale. Someone...please...buy it!
53. My dad was a detective on the Steven Stayner case.
54. I never did anything wrong in high school, for fear that my police officer father had spies everywhere.
55. I am wayyyyyy too honest when I drink. I think that's how I lost one of my friends.
56. My poor husband doesn't get to fall asleep for a good hour after going to bed, as I'm always talking his ear off.
57. I've had tons of pets, but my favorite was a dog that my dad rescued from Fremont School while out on patrol--sweet Buttons!
58. My dad served in Vietnam.
59. I've really only ever lived in Merced.
60. I tried moving to Brea, and was even enrolled in CSU Fullerton, but got homesick after 2 days and came home.
61. I played Little Miss Softball for a few years. Remember the whole "not an athelete" thing?
62. I took about 6 years of dance lessons, and came out no better than how I went in.
63. I learned how to drive on a stick shift, but took my test on an automatic (Grandma's Buick)!
64. I am the baby cousin on both sides (of my generation).
65. My cousin Mike once threw a rock at me that hit dead center on my forehead, leaving a big knot. He later pitched for the high school baseball team.
66. As a little girl, I spent many a weekend in various motels and softball parks, travelling with the Police softball team.
67. Much of this time was spent playing with Brian Fuentes, now a Colorado Rockies pitcher.
68. I am a bit of an Anglophile. I love Jane Austen, as well as newer British Chick Lit. I think I secretly wish I was Bridget Jones.
69. Many of my current friends are either younger or older than I am. Patricia and Jen are about the only ones my age!
70. I've been a Maid of Honor twice, and I think I kind of stink at it!
71. I had my first kiss at 14, during the movie "Hellraiser." Um....yeah.
72. My high school boyfriend has an internet series!
73. I really, really want to be more organized.
74. I like old TV shows. Adrian just rolls his eyes when I stop on Andy Griffith or MASH.
75. I would rather see live theater than a movie any day.
76. I was painfully, painfully shy in high school, which made most people think that I was a snob.
77. It still takes me a very long time to warm up to people, but trust me--it's me, it's not you.
78. I am a movie quote MACHINE! Motherhood has made me rusty, but I shall reign again!
79. I want to be more fashionable than I am, but I'm really just a jeans and flip-flops girl. If I ever got a Coach bag, it would probably catch on fire or something.
80. I scare a lot more easily, now that I'm older and have kids.
81. I knocked my two front teeth out by the time I was three. I was the only kid in my Kindergarten class who didn't need black for her teeth when we performed "All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth."
82. I've been on two blind dates in my life.
83. I've been married for 5 years.
84. Adrian and I moved in together after only 3 months of dating. We bought a house together after 5!
85. I'm pretty sure Patti Allan talked me into moving my wedding date up so that I wouldn't be living in sin as long!
86. I have a BA and a CA Multiple Subject Teaching Credential. I'm only one class away from a Reading Specialist Credential.
87. I love showtunes.
88. I also love bands like Offspring and Audioslave.
89. There's just about nothing better than The Beatles.
90. I hate coffee, but adore the smell.
91. I've never smoked.
92. I don't have any tattoos, and will never get one. I can't help but think of what it would look like when I'm 90!
93. I'm a closeted US Weekly/Teddy and Moo reader.
94. I have a bit of an obsession with beauty products and even belong to a forum that discusses them.
95. At the salon, I'll choose the trashy Cosmo over the book I'm reading anytime!
96. I get goosebumps every time I hear the National Anthem or see a fly-over.
97. Speaking of which, I think the Dixie Chicks got a bum deal.
98. I've begun a new obsession with talk radio.
99. When I was pregnant, I couldn't watch hospital shows, but watched a ton of COPS, Law and Order SVU, and CSI. Go figure.
100. Tonight I'll probably debrief this entire list with my husband before we go to sleep.
...I have training this week, but it's very GOOD training. It's so very hard to get out of bed in the morning, and even harder to leave my girls. I can't wait to decompress a bit. This weekend, we spent time in our pool, and in the sprinklers. Then we got on our bikes. Here's a teaser~ I'll follow up with more later.
Very happy to be on vacation, however now have Everest-sized pile of classroom goods that looks like this:
mainly, because I'm going to be doing this next school year:
Very excited, yet very nervous! I'll be housed at Gracey, which is a FUN staff. I'll miss my old family at Reyes, though. I've been assured that I won't be moved into the broom closet, as long as I'm good. I've got a nice space there. However, it's not a classroom, so just about EVERYTHING had to come home. My poor Van is banished to the driveway for now.